Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon



The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon
Release Date -  March 7, 2012
Publisher Website - Raincoast / Bloomsbury
Publisher Social Media - Twitter / Twitter
Pages -  384 pages
My Rating - 5/5
**received for honest review from publisher**


**SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
The hotly anticipated third book in the bestselling Bone Season series – a ground-breaking, dystopian fantasy of extraordinary imagination

Following a bloody battle against foes on every side, Paige Mahoney has risen to the dangerous position of Underqueen, ruling over London's criminal population.

But, having turned her back on Jaxon Hall and with vengeful enemies still at large, the task of stabilising the fractured underworld has never seemed so challenging.

Little does Paige know that her reign may be cut short by the introduction of Senshield, a deadly technology that spells doom for the clairvoyant community and the world as they know it…
When the release date for The Song Rising was announced I know plenty of fans bemoaned the wait for the next chapter in Paige's story. It was agonizing, but Samantha Shannon has delivered a novel that was not only worth the wait, but surpassed any and all expectations that I had.

Each new novel in this series leads Paige to some place unexpected. These novels do not feel predictable, and often pace events much quicker than I would have guessed for a longer series. Plot points are not dragged out and that leaves the novel feeling tightly plotted. This novel, especially, showcases why this series is going to be a larger one with pushing everyone, including the reader, outside the comfort zones we've come to love. I delight in the fact that I cannot predict what will happen in this series. It allows me to experience the magic of Paige's journey as she does, and makes the emotions I feel while reading resonate all the more.

Paige is such a wonderful character. She's nuanced, and complex. I feel like after three novels we really know who she is and why she makes the choices she does. The introduction of her becoming Underqueen and walking away Jaxon sets the stage for her to continue to grow. She's quickly becoming one of my favourite female protagonists. I admire her determination, loyalty and the fact that she sometimes makes the wrong decisions (even if she is making them for the right reasons). She is a force and I cannot wait to see how she progresses in the future novels.

It is easy to get attached to all these characters, particularly the other members of the Seven Seals, as the story progresses. How attached I have grown to all these characters really sneaked up on my during this novel. That emotional attachment has been firmly cemented because Samantha has taken her time and allowed these characters to earn their spot in our heats.

I cannot discuss the major plot points without giving away too many spoilers, but this novel is a thrill ride from start to finish. It grabs your entire attention from the beginning and doesn't let up until the final page. The entire novel is well plotted with things being revealed at just the right time. The set up of the early chapters is well worth the pay off towards the end. This feels like the book that major shifts Paige's story and opens our view to a much larger, and more complex world.

The ending packs an emotional punch as we shit Paige's story once again. This novel opens up so many exciting possibilities and ensures that waiting for the forth is going to be exquisite torture. The ending was bittersweet for me, as I anticipate it will be for a lot of readers, filled with both tears and excitement. This kind of hook is something Samantha does incredibly well and has ensured I will be a life long fan.

An action packed series that only continues to impress with each passing installment. Paige's journey continues to surprise and delight as her world widens, and the connections deepen. This Song Rising will please fans of the series immensely and have you itching to get your hands on the forth installment of this breathtaking series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...