Thursday, December 1, 2016

2017 Most Anticipated - Girls Made Of Snow And Glass




Anyone who has visited my blog regularly knows that I have a bit of a thing for fairytale retellings. I already had a Little Mermaid inspired book on this list. The next book on my 2017 Most Anticipated list is inspired by another fairytale.


Girls Made Of Snow and Glass by by Melissa Bashardoust offers a retelling that focuses on the princess (aka Snow White) and her stepmother (aka The Evil Queen).


Here is the very brief  Goodreads synopsis. Since this book does not come out until Fall 2017, there is very limited information released so far.
A feminist reimagining of the Snow White fairy tale, which follows both of the central female characters from the original story: the princess and her stepmother.
A feminist reimagining of Snow White?! YES, PLEASE! This sounds incredible. I like that it is offering up a bit of a unique take on the classic tale.

I got Melissa to dish some secrets about Girls Made Of Snow and Glass. It has definitely piqued my interest even more and left me eager to get my hands on this book as soon as possible!

1 Describe Girls Made Of Snow and Glass using three words.

Identity. Family. Love.

2 If someone were to make a signature ice cream in honour of your book, what might be included?

Hmm, I think it would be a vanilla/raspberry swirl with sugar crystals sprinkled on top.

3 Your novel has been described as a feminist twist on the classic Snow White tale. What part of the Snow White story inspired you to write your own twist on it?

I started out thinking about the evil queen/stepmother specifically. We tend to dismiss her motivations as being petty vanity or jealousy, one woman wanting to be prettier than another, but as I was watching the Faerie Tale Theatre episode of Snow White one day, I started really thinking about the source of her fears. Given the way our society treats women who aren’t conventionally attractive or in the prime of youth, it makes sense that she would be afraid of losing her power and her position as her successor comes of age and is poised to replace her. When I first started brainstorming ideas for this book, I was planning to explore the queen’s journey and her psychology alone, but then eventually I realized I wanted to write about both the princess and the queen and the way their stories might interact and parallel each other, and to look at the forces shaping their rivalry and see if there could possibly be any alternative to the story we’ve heard so many times.

4 Name a song you listed to for inspiration while writing this novel (if you didn't listen to music let me know and I can quickly send another question)

I listened to a lot of dramatic instrumental music while writing this book, but lyrically, special mention has to go to “Hardest of Hearts” by Florence and the Machine.

5 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want to travel?

I think I’d like to stop by for tea with the Brontës up at Haworth in 1848, followed by a walk on the moors.

6 What 2017 release are you most anticipating?

There are so many, but being a big Labyrinth fan, I’m dying to get my hands on WINTERSONG by S. Jae-Jones.

7 If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Girls Made Of Snow and Glass

Lynet first saw her in the courtyard.


I am so excited that this is being called a feminist retelling! It is what immediately caught my attention and I cannot wait to see how Melissa tackles this fairytale.

Girls Made Of Snow and Glass is scheduled for release on September 5, 2017 (subject to change) so it is not currently available for preorder. I recommend adding it to your Goodreads shelves so that you can preorder as soon as the links become available.

You can also follow Melissa on Twitter, visit her website, and the publisher website for more details about Girls Made of Snow and Glass as its release gets closer.

Are you as in love with the idea of a feminist Snow White retelling as I am? What classic images or scenes do you hope translate into this retelling? Let me know in the comments.

 I, personally, hope we still get a see a poisoned apple.


Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out the next book that made this year's list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...