Thursday, August 25, 2016

#FrenzyPresents Fall 2016/Winter 2017 Blogger Preview Recap



I was once again invited the annual Frenzy Presents event at Harper Collins Canada. My fellow Ottawa bloggers and I made the trip to Toronto to meet up with the lovely people at Harper Collins Canada and some fellow Toronto area bloggers.

To say I was excited to be invited would be an understatement. There was definately some fangirling that happened when I opened the email (and embarrassed myself at work ... again).


I was so excited in fact that I did not take as many photos as I wanted, BUT I am going to recap the titles discussed and share the photos I did manage to take.

In no particular order here are the upcoming titles that were presented at the event (with a link to their Goodreads page and my thoughts).

Girl Mans Up by M-E Girard (goodreads)

M-E Girard was there to discuss (and sign) her upcoming book, Girl Mans up. I was sold by M-E's description of her main character. It sounds like something totally unique in YA and an important addition to the young adult contemporary genre. Very excited to pick this one up. 

The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee (goodreads)

This one is easily summed up by comparing it to a futuristic Gossip Girl. I am currently reading it and it is filled with all the juicy drama you could hope for, and I have been impressed with Katharine McGee's writing so far. This starts with a young woman falling off the thousandth floor of this high-rise tower, and the secrets just unravel from there. Prepare for this to become your latest CW (or similar) addiction as well because it basically begs to be turned into a television show.

As I Descended by Robin Talley (goodreads)



A Macbeth retelling where Macbeth is female?! Yes, please. This contemporary twist on the classic tale promises to be just as creepy as the original and filled with some great modern twists. I am excited to see what a female version of Macbeth would look like and am hoping for some complex and fascinating characters. 

Replica by Lauren Oliver (goodreads)

This uniquely formatted novel can be read three different ways and is actually two stories in one. One half of the novel is Lyra's story, and the other half is Gemma's story. You can read them each straight through (in either order) or alternate between the two. I am curious how the reading experience changes depending on how you decide to read the novel (or if it changes at all). It's a fun concept and one I am intrigued to try out. 

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake (goodreads)

Three sisters who each have magic abilities are reunited on the 16th birthday to fight for the right to be the rightful Queen of their kingdom. This fight just happens to be to the death with the victor being the last lady standing. It sounds dark, and amazing! It is high up on my must read list and I cannot wait to meet these three sisters.

Fireworks by Katie Cotugno (goodreads)




This is a story of friendship back dropped against the boy/girl band craze of the 90's. Two girls audition to be part of a new pop group that is forming and this novel examines the impact this has on them and their friendship. All of this basically translates into my needing it immediately. It is very high on my must read list for winter 2017. 

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli (goodreads)



Pretty sure everyone fell in love with Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda when it released and that everyone is impatiently waiting for Becky's newest. This has been called a love letter to those who don't get love letters and that is all I needed to hear for me to desperately need it. 

The End of Our Story by Meg Haston (goodreads)

A contemporary read that sounds completely heartbreaking and amazing. It is the story of a star crossed couple and the secrets that could tear them apart. Even thought she wouldn't tell us much, Suman sold the heck out of this one during her presentation and I am really looking forward to checking it out. 

Every Hidden Thing by Kenneth Oppel (goodreads)


Kenneth Oppel talking Every Hidden Thing
Kenneth Oppel also happened to be there to present his own book and sign copies for everyone. This is being called Romeo and Juliet with dinosaurs and I am already fangirling. This is the story of two teens who fall in love despite being on opposing excavating teams that are hunting the same dinosaur fossil. It sounds amazing and so different. You'll definitely be seeing this one on the blog pretty soon!

Valiant by Lesley Livingston (goodreads)

If the fact that this features female gladiators doesn't sell you, perhaps the inclusion of Julius Caesar will. A young woman whose only hope may be the man who destroyed her family and invaded her country. This one caused quite the reaction with the bloggers in attendance. 

King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard (goodreads)




It is no secret that I LOVE this series and should surprise nobody that I was VERY excited when this was presented. Not much was said as they cannot reveal much (and didn't want to spoil the first two books for those who had not read them yet) but I am very much looking forward to this one being released. 

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth (goodreads)




This title also caused quite the reaction with audible gasps and excited chatter happening as soon as it appeared on the screen. Again, not many details could be shared but pretty much everyone is excited to read Veronica Roth's newest. The synopsis hints at two characters having to put aside their differences to help each other and is set in space. There has been mention of a Star Wars like feel. That alone is enough for me to want to get my hands on it.

Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst (goodreads)

A girl who is betrothed to the Prince falls in love with his sister instead is how this one was introduced. The budding relationship between the two girls was mentioned as being a more realistic journey with no instalove in sight. This one also caused quite the commotion as it seemed a lot of the bloggers were interested in reading this one (and it does sound great).

Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge  (goodreads)

 A Romeo and Juliet retelling that I am dying to get my hands on. This version of Juliet is compelled to get revenge on those who have wronged her people and her beloved Romeo has just killed her cousin Tybalt. I love the mixing of fantasy elements with the classic Romeo and Juliet tale.

Frost Like Night by Sara Raasch (goodreads)

The third book in this series was  only touched on briefly as they did not want to spoil anything for anyone who hadn't read the previous two novels in the series. The Harper Collins ladies raved about this one and it is a fantasy novel so I really should check them out.

The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis (goodreads)

They touched upon the fact that Mindy doesn't write on genre. Her books are all quite different from each other and this one is no exception. It sounds amazing and while not a whole lot of details are available it tells the story of a girl whose sister has been killed and the aftermath of those events.

Leave Me by Gayle Forman (goodreads)

This is Gayle Forman's first adult novel but has cross-over appeal. This is the story of a woman who after having a heart attack decides to pack up her suitcase and leave her family behind. I already have this one in my stack of books to read soon and I am really looking forward to it. Gayle Forman's books are always incredible and I hope this one is just as amazing as I anticipate.

The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst (goodreads)

An adult fantasy novel that again holds cross-over appeal for YA readers. It has a complex sounding plot that sound really interesting. It is easier to just read the synopsis but the novel revolves around these women who have the ability to protect humankind from the spirits that wish to kill them. 

I left very excited to read many of these titles and Harper Collins Canada kindly provided each of us with a swag bag filled with amazing goodies and two ARCs of titles discussed during the event.


My favourite part of the event (other than hearing about the upcoming books) is getting a change to talk with fellow bloggers. I got to see old friends, meet some new bloggers, and gush over books I am enjoying and hear what everyone thought of the books that were presented. I also got to chat with my two favourite Harper ladies which is always fun.

A huge thank you to Harper Collins Canada for a fantastic afternoon of bookish fun!


Thank you to M-E Giard and Kenneth Oppel for attending and signing everyone's books. Lastly, thank you to all the lovely bloggers I chatted with. You all made it an even more fun afternoon. It was great to get to see everyone and I cannot wait to do it again soon!

Until next year ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...