Friday, April 22, 2016

Summer Reading Suggestions (& what I am up to this summer)


This may be a little early this year, but that's because I am so looking forward to summer and all the reading time it brings.

It's a proven fact that summer and reading are meant for each other. There's nothing better than a great mystery while by the pool, spending a lazy day lost in a fantastic contemporary or devouring a fantasy while also devouring ice cream.

I am going to let you know what will be in my beach tote this summer, and offer up a few suggestions if you're looking for books to stash in yours.

MY PICKS FOR YOUR SUMMER READS

1. When We Collided by Emery Lord

A story about a boy and girl and their summer romance. A realistic look at mental illness, grief and all that it entails. This novel is not only set during the summer, it may just give you a few fun ideas for your own summer. It also pairs nicely with ice cream, just saying.

2. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

Her books are summer. Whenever I think of summer reads I immediately think of Morgan's books. You can honestly read any of them, but The Unexpected Everything is her most current. I haven't read it myself (but that is changing VERY soon) but I know it's going to be great. If you haven't read Morgan before, I suggest you start with Since You've Been Gone! I am pretty sure it's illegal to not eat ice cream while reading one of her books so be sure to grab some before reading.

3. The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

The last post I did like this I had recommended Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. If you haven't read that yet, do that first. If you have and are looking for another great mystery, you need to pick up The Girl On The Train. It'll soon be a movie so you can read it before you see it. Just be careful though - you'll be so engrossed that it could cause a sunburn.

4. Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren

If you're wanting something a little hotter from your beach read I recommend this one. It was on my own summer reading last last year and I really enjoyed it. I haven't read the rest of the series (yet) but I have heard they are just as good, if not better, than Sweet Filthy Boy. This book not only offers plenty of sexy, but has great friendships and plot as well.

** I recommended it last time, but if you haven't read Jojo Moynes' Me Before You - GET ON THAT **

WHAT I AM READING THIS SUMMER

1. Paper Princess by Erin Watt

I have seen this described as Cruel Intentions meets Gossip Girl and I am so in! I cannot wait to dive into this series and hope to love it as much as I think I am going to.

2. Dirty Rowdy Thing by Christina Lauren

This book has been sitting on my shelf long enough! I have heard that this is going to (most likely) be my favourite of the series and I am really excited to read it by the pool this summer.

3. A Night In With Audrey Hepburn by Lucy Holliday

I am obsessed with Classic Hollywood. Obsessed. I heard about this series of books and knew I was going to need to read them. The first novel focuses on Audrey Hepburn, the second Marilyn Monroe and the last Grace Kelly. I predict I'll be watching a movie starring each lady after finishing their respective books.

4 Finding Fraser by KC Dyer

I have become obsessed with the TV show Outlander, and when my friend Emilie pointed out this book to me I was immediately intrigued. This story revolves around a woman going to Scotland to find her own Jamie Fraser! I predict lots of funny, and hopefully sweet, moments from this rom-com sounding read. Sound be perfect with some slushie drinks.

5 Glitter by Aprilynne Pike

This one might be a little bit of wishing on my part. This will only come true if I manage to snag an ARC of this amazing sounding read at BEA or ALA. This has been called Breaking Bad meets Marie Antoinette and that is all I needed to know to be 100% obsessed.

** I would have also included Stephanie Garber's Caraval, which again would be possible only if I snag an ARC at BEA or ALA, but this one would not last until summer. If I am lucky enough to get an ARC I am going to devour it immediately **

OTHER SUMMER FUN

Here are some other fun things I intend to get up to this summer

1. seeing the Me Before You movie 

I am going to take my tissues, and prepare to sob my way through most of this movie. The trailer gets me crying so I am pretty sure I have zero hope of making it through the movie dry eyed. Sam Claflin and Emila Clarke have already sold me on their performances and I cannot wait to see them as Will and Lou.

2. Sound and Light Show on Parliament Hill in Ottawa

I've lived in Ottawa for a whole lot of years now and have never gone to see this summer show. This is the year that changes. I figure a dinner with some friends followed by this show is the perfect way to spend a summer evening!

3. seeing the Suicide Squad movie

The trailers for this are AMAZING! I am so excited to see Jared Leto's take on the Joker, and to see Margot Robbie slay as Harley Quinn. It is going to be a fun movie experience and I have high hopes for everything about this.

4 Disney Fun

I am headed to Orlando for ALA and while I am there I intend to spend a day at Disney. This is going to be SO MUCH FUN and I cannot wait to go back and experience the magic of Disney World again.

5. Travelling Book Club

I've always wanted to try to have a sort of travelling bookclub. I would send a book and a notebook to a friend and have them read it. They can make any notes in the book and notebook they want. After they are done they would send it to one of their friends and so on until eventually it would make it's way back to me. I think this summer is the perfect time to try this experiment. Now I just have to select the perfect book ...

What do you have planned this summer? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend reading The Girl on the Train: A Novel.
    I just finished reading it today, and I think its a very good book to read.

    I got mine off Amazon and they delivered it in only two days.
    Here is a link for the book on Amazon:
    The Girl on the Train: A Novel

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...