Friday, June 26, 2015

Summer Reading


It's a proven fact that summer and reading are meant for each other. There's nothing better than a great mystery while by the pool, spending a lazy day lost in a fantastic contemporary or devouring a fantasy while also devouring ice cream.

I am going to let you know what will be in my beach tote this summer, and offer up a few suggestions if you're looking for books to stash in yours!

MY PICKS FOR SUMMER READS

Here are some books you should check out if you haven't already read them! I loved all of them and any of them would make great summer reads.

1 Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This is a perfect mystery/thriller that will keep you guessing. It's totally the type of book that is pretty much a sunburn waiting to happen. You'll becomes obsessed with Nick, Amy, and what really happened. Afterwards, be sure to check out the movie! One of my favourite book to movie adaptations ever.

2 Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

A sweet, fun read that has a lot of depth. This one will make you want to create some lists of your own for your friends. I totally made a "How To Have The Best Summer Ever" list for one of my friends after reading this one. You'll fall for the characters, the soundtrack (that can totally be the music of your summer) and Morgan's writing. Her other novels are just as amazing if you're looking for more after finishing this one.

3 Tarnish by Katherine Longshore

The entire Royal Circle 'series' should be on this list. Tarnish just happens to be my favourite as I adore Anne Boleyn and Katherine's portrayal of Anne is one of my favourites (EVER). Her writing is beautiful, and fans of Reign will love the Tudor court drama and romance that graces these pages.

4 Stolen by Lucy Christopher

This book will never not be on a list like this from me. It's one of my most favourite books, and one I tell everyone to read. The letter style format works wonderfully for this story of a girl writing to her kidnapper. It's a clever, well written look at what might be Stockholm Syndrome (or what could be something else entirely). One thing is for sure however, you'll never forget Gemma and Ty's story.

5 Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

I feel like this should come with a warning - you will need tissues to make it through this one. The beautiful story of Will and Lou. A young man who feels he has nothing left to live for after an accident leaves him paralysed and the young woman hired to help him. It's a story that poses many thought provoking questions and is the perfect book for when you're looking for something a little different than the usual beach read.

6 The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan 

If you're obsessed with all things relating to the royal family, you'll want to devour this book. It's fun, charming, and has just the right amount of romance and drama. An often funny, but touching, love story filled with some unforgettable characters. You'll close this one praying for a companion novel that focuses on Freddie as you'll be dying to enter this world again.

7 The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord

I could easily also recommend Open Road Summer by Emery Lord (so totally read both). The Start Of Me And You earns bonus points for it's clever nod to Pride and Prejudice, and the most adorable romance I've read in a while. It's a feel good read that will leave you feeling happy, and ready to try a few new things yourself.

8 Just One Day/Just One Year by Gayle Forman

This will make you want to pack your bags and head to Europe on a summer vacation. It's a lighter read mixed in with some pretty deep topics and all with the classic Gayle Forman romance. A story of a girl who agrees to spend one day in Paris with a cute guy she just meets ends up being about much more than the romance. Fall in love with Europe, and these characters as you follow first Allyson and then Willem on their journeys to where they are supposed to be.

9 Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

This novel is seriously on fire. It is the next big thing in YA as evident by it's impressive debut on the New York Time's bestseller lists at number one. It's got a movie in the works, and it honestly could be the next big YA series adaptations. A novel that promises that anyone can betray anyone will leave you turning the pages (and most likely sunburned in the process) as you become engrossed in Mare's world.

10 Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Another novel that will always be on these kinds of list for me. A beautifully written take on the Peter Pan tale that asks what if before Wendy entered the picture, Peter was in love with the girl with the crow feathers in her hair (that would be Tiger Lily). An often heartbreaking story that touched me, and remains one of my favourite Peter Pan retellings ever.


WHAT I AM READING

Here are the books I am going to be enjoying in the summer sun! So excited about all of these!

1 Dumplin' by Julie Murphy

Pretty much every person I know that has read this has gushed. Not just a little, but A LOT. I am hoping to get to it ASAP because I am not sure I can wait much longer.

2 Tonight The Streets Are Ours by Leila Sales

I am extremely curious about this one, and I am a sucker for the whole 'one magical night' aspect of the storyline, and am even more intrigued that this one seems to have a twist that perhaps it's not what it first appears. I am sure it'll be fantastic as I've heard nothing by raves about her first novel.

3 The Rest Of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

Described as Buffy The Vampire Slayer but from the perspective of the 'non chosen' students. It's basically the story of the kids who just want to go to prom without their school being attacked by vampires (or similar) and I think it sounds hilarious. I've never read anything by Patrick Ness before but he made me want to bump this one up during his panel at Book Con this year.

4 The Young Elites by Marie Lu

I have had this one on my list for a long time now, and I keep hearing how amazing it is. I am finally going to read it this summer. I've been told to have wine ready (and possibly chocolate) so I am going to be sure to stock up before diving in.

5 Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren

I've been told I have to read this from Emilie and Katie. It sounds sexy, fun and a great beach book. I am considering binging all the books that are out right now in time for the next one.

Have you read any of the books I've mentioned? What is on your summer reading list? Read something that I simply must make time to read this summer? Let me know in the comments! I would love some suggestions.


2 comments:

  1. I loved Just One Day and Just One Year so much! They're definitely on my favorites list-I read them last winter. I'm hoping to read some of Morgan Matson's books this summer.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Krystianna! Do read some Morgan Matson books! You'll love them and they are PERFECT for summer.

      Delete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...