Thursday, September 4, 2014

Q and A With Alice Kuipers



Today I have Alice Kuipers stopping by for a Q and A all about her new novel, The Death Of Us. If you have already, do check out what I thought of this book by reading my review.

Here is a little about The Death Of Us


A recovered friendship, a dark secret, and a love triangle with a deadly angle…

Callie is shocked when her friend Ivy reappears after an unexplained three-year absence, but the girls pick up where they left off, and suddenly Callie’s summer is full of parties, boys and fun. Beneath the surface, things aren't what they seem, however, and when a handsome boy with a dark past gets tangled up with Ivy, the girls’ history threatens to destroy their future.


1. Twitter pitch The Death Of Us (describe it in 140 characters or less).

Someone at my publishing house came up with: A love triangle with a deadly angle. It's on the back of the book and I think it absolutely sums up the novel. And it's way fewer than 140 characters. Or, how about: Three tangled lives, one terrible accident, who survives?

2. If someone were to make an ice cream flavour for your book, what might be included?

A dash of spice - cayenne, a hint of something exotic - cardammon, a swirl of sweet raspberry, plain vanilla, and a lot of chocolate. Underneath would be a darker taste, something bitter, perhaps strong coffee.

3. Friendship is such a huge part of this novel. How would Callie and Ivy each describe their friendship?

Callie would say: I missed Ivy and having her back in my life is the best thing possible. Really. Yeah, I know it was messed up first time round, but she's so amazing. And the past is in the past. Right?
Ivy would say: Callie is the sort of friend I need. Loyal and true. I respect that. I have to trust her. If I can't trust her, I can't trust anyone.

4. If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel? 

A lot of the travelling in the past was exciting and extraordinary but it came at huge cost. Like, I imagine being on HMS Beagle with Charles Darwin, but I know there was a young girl on that ship who had been kidnapped from her people as some sort of curio. Her name was Fuegia Basket. She barely gets a mention in history but her life was destroyed. That sort of destruction and disrespect takes away the appeal of travelling in history. So I think I'd rather travel forward, into the future - go to a new planet, like the one in Michel Faber's new novel, The Book of Strange New Things.

5. What three things do you need while revising? 

My editors.
A strong stomach.
Coffee.

Thank you to Alice for stopping by and answering these questions. Thank you to Harper Collins Canada for setting up this interview.

You can find Alice online by visiting her Twitter or her website

Harper Collins Canada can be found online at the following - Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader/Frenzy

Here are a few places you can purchase The Death Of Us - Chapters //  Harper Collins // Amazon //


ALICE KUIPERS is the bestselling, award-winning author of three previous novels, Life on the Refrigerator Door, The Worst Thing She Ever Did and 40 Things I Want To Tell You, and the picture book Violet and Victor Write The Best-Ever Bookworm Book. Her work has been published to critical acclaim in twenty-nine countries. She lives in Saskatoon. Find her here: www.alicekuipers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...