Saturday, July 26, 2014

Weekly Obsessions


The awesome Kelly at KellyVision started posting a weekly post highlighting whatever she happened to be obsessed with that week. I LOVE this idea, so much in fact that I will be doing it myself every Saturday.

Here are my obsessions this week.

BOOK

Vendetta by Catherine Doyle (goodreads)

I stumbled across this while browsing some catalogs and after I read the synopsis I was hooked. It's Romeo and Juliet meets the mafia so basically I need it immediately.
Blood Will Spill, Hearts Will Break: With a fierce rivalry raging between two warring families, falling in love is the deadliest thing Sophie could do. An epic debut set outside modern-day Chicago.

For Sophie, it starts as just another slow, hot summer in Cedar Hill. Then a new family moves into the long-abandoned mansion across the street: the Falcone family, with its five mysterious brothers. Unable to resist bad boy Nicoli, Sophie finds herself falling for him--and into his world. But just as the dark secrets of the Falcones begin to come to light, the skeletons of her own family, the Gracewells, rise to the surface, too. And soon Sophie is torn between the desires of two warring dynasties: the one she was born into and the one she's now in love with. But she'll have to choose between passion and honor. And when she does, blood will spill and hearts will break. Because in this twisted underworld, loyalty can mean the difference between life and death.
I am a sucker for a Romeo and Juliet retelling, but mixing it with mafia families and I am all in.

The Shadow Boys Are Breaking by Mackenzi Lee (goodreads)

Frankenstein retellings seems to be a thing in 2015. This one was brought to my attention and sounds like an interesting take on the classic tale.
Pitched as a reimagining of Frankenstein set in an industrialized 1818 Geneva, where a teenage mechanic must rediscover the line between man and monster after he uses clockwork to bring his murdered brother back from the dead.
I like the twist of using clockwork to bring his brother back. I am definitely curious about this one and am delighted I stumbled across it on my Twitter feed.

TV/MOVIE

Nightcrawler trailer


Jake Gyllenhaal lost a whole bunch of weight for a movie role a little while back. If you're into Hollywood gossip you may recall seeing some photos of him on gossip sites looking pretty gaunt. Nightcrawler is the movie he was doing it for, and it appears those efforts paid off. The trailer is INTENSE and Jake is riveting, even in this brief glimpse.


Incredible, right? I will be counting down the days until this one is in theaters. It's already getting some Oscar buzz, and I think, based on this trailer, it might be warranted. So the only question left is - are you going to buy a ticket?

What are you obsessed with this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...