Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle



The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle
Release Date – August 27, 2013
Publisher Website -  Amulet
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  336 pages
My Rating- 2.5/5
**obtained for review from publisher at BEA**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
For as long as she can remember, Wren Gray’s goal has been to please her parents. But as high school graduation nears, so does an uncomfortable realization: Pleasing her parents once overlapped with pleasing herself, but now... not so much. Wren needs to honor her own desires, but how can she if she doesn’t even know what they are? 
Charlie Parker, on the other hand, is painfully aware of his heart’s desire. A gentle boy with a troubled past, Charlie has loved Wren since the day he first saw her. But a girl like Wren would never fall for a guy like Charlie—at least not the sort of guy Charlie believes himself to be. 
And yet certain things are written in the stars. And in the summer after high school, Wren and Charlie’s souls will collide. But souls are complicated, as are the bodies that house them... 
Sexy, romantic, and oh-so-true to life, this is an unforgettable look at first love from one of young adult fiction’s greatest writers.
A sometimes romantic, sometimes infuriating, novel that is filled with the pains of growing up, falling in love, and preparing to say goodbye.

Wren is sheltered. Her family's expectations of her often leave her feeling crippled. She doesn't want to let them down, but she wants to head out on her own. She often comes across as needy, and immature. It reflects on her upbringing because she's never had to do anything on her own. Her decisions are made for her. Sadly, she kept me making that connection I need to fully immerse myself into a story.

In contrast I really enjoyed Charlie. His bond to his family is admirable. He is determined to rise above his early childhood, and doesn't want anyone feeling sorry for him. I connected with him a little more, but still not enough to fully immerse myself into the story.

The relationship aspect of the novel was okay. It showed that relationships are not always perfect. That they take work, and you have to be willing to give and take when you're with someone. Taking that person into consideration is key, and compromise goes a long way. It showed the importance of communication between couples.

Sex, and it's repercussions are somewhat discussed in the novel. It's definitely more of a mature YA, perhaps even New Adult, novel. The way it was handled both delighted me and infuriated me. The frankness in which it is portrayed, and discussed was a positive. There is one glaring aspect that was never expanded on properly. SPOILERS -- At one point Wren determines that since she is on the pill, her and Charlie can have sex without condoms if he gets tested. Fine, characters make unfortunate choices sometimes. I was hoping this would be brought up again. Sadly, it wasn't. I believe it was meant to show how much her and Charlie trusted each other. However, and perhaps it's my beliefs that make me feel this way, I wished it would been expressed that being on the pill is never a fail safe against pregnancy, and that a clean STD test does not take away the entire risk. A nod to the realities of engaging in sexual activity and practicing safe sex would have satisfied me.

A novel that had a lot of potential, and is wonderfully written, but ultimately left me wanting more from it, and the characters. I recommend reading Lauren Myracle's Shine if you've never read anything by her before and maybe use this as a follow up after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...