Monday, July 1, 2013

Best of 2013.... so far


Hard to believe it's already 6 months until 2013. It's officially the half way point to the end of the year and time to check in and see what the best books I've read this year... so far at least. I've linked to my reviews if you want to know more about what I thought of each of these novels (or have indicated when a review is forthcoming in cases where reviews are not yet posted).

The top 10 in no particular order...

1 Tarnish by Katherine Longshore
A book that reads more like an autobiography than fiction. Anne Boleyn's voice leaps off the page, and creates one of the best characters I've read this year. A different approach as this novel focuses on her life rather than her untimely death.
2 Dance of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
Lush descriptions, hot romance, and flaw characters come together to create one of my favourite of the year. A perfect ending to Araby's story that leaves you with just enough light in the darkness to say goodbye to these characters who are all too easy to become attached to.
3 Night Film by Marisha Pessl
Hands down one of the most well written novels I've read. The mystery of Ashley Cordova's death will haunt you, as will Stanislas Cordova himself. The question 'Who is Cordova' haunted me as much as it plagues our main character. This novel is sovereign, deadly and almost perfect. *review to come in the Autumn*
4 Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin
A novel that is beautiful and heart wrenching. It questions gender, and it's relevance to who we are. It's characters are ones that you'll remember long after you've finished this brilliant debut novel. Wonderfully written, and executed, this novel is one I urge everyone to pick it. It surprised me in the best possible way.
5 Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood
Jessica Spotswood delivered a sequel that more that lives up to the first installment of the series. Filled with sibling rivalry, magic, romance, and ending in a heart crushing climax that will leave you breathless for the final novel. It's avoids the normal hindrances found in sequels and delivers something magical.
6 Before I Go To Sleep by S.J Watson
Thrilling, scary and disjointing. A novel told from the perspective of a character who is the definition of an unreliable narrator. SJ Watson has taken an already alarming premise and made it as sinister as possible. A novel that doesn't let go until all the secrets have been unraveled in the shocking ending.
7 Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
An emotional ending to a trilogy that may just be superior to the author's Mortal Instruments. Saying goodbye to beloved characters is never easy but this ending provides everything I could have wanted. Closure, emotional payoff, and brilliant connecting between the two already interconnected series.
8 Reboot by Amy Tintera
A novel that surprised me with how much I fell in love with it. It's a fascinating look at what makes us human. Sweet romance, mixed with incredible action scenes, it's a novel that is as dark as it is beautiful. If this one flew under your radar, be sure to pick it up. It'll surprise you.
9 The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
A novel filled with brilliant world building. Paige's world is complex, and so fully fleshed out that my excitement over what is to come is almost as great as my love for the first installment to this series. A captivating character in Paige, and some intriguing plot developments make me think this is a series, and writer, to watch. *review to come in the August*
10 Game by Barry Lyga
The follow up to I Hunt Killers is everything it's predecessor was, and more. Jazz remains as chilling as he is charming. The stakes are as high as ever, and Barry Lyga's twisted story unfolds at a perfect pace, making the novel impossible to put down.
I can't wait to see which of these will make it to the final list of top ten books of the year come the end of December. What is the best book you've read so far this year? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...