Monday, May 13, 2013

BEA - My Most Coveted Gets and Some Survival Tips


*picture courtesy of the Book Expo America official website*

Book Expo America is quickly approaching. It's only 2 weeks until I will be heading to New York City for a week of bookish fun. Now that the autograph schedules are out, some galleys are teased, and plans are under way I thought I would share some of galleys I am hoping to snag, and some survival tips if it's your first year.

SURVIVAL TIPS

1 - Wear Comfy Shoes

This is probably the most important. Your feet will hurt if you don't have proper footwear. You're standing in lines and are on your feet for a lot of hours. Your feet will thank you later that evening if you take care of them.

2 - Plan, plan, plan.

The Javits Center is huge. It's easy to miss things if you don't have some sort of plan. Know when your favourite authors will be around, and line up early.

3- Schedule time for breaks

It's easy to get caught up in the whirlwind that is BEA. You end up in a book filled haze that you forget to relax and take some time for lunch. Be sure to fit in a break somewhere in your day to get some much needed downtime. Bringing supplies (like water, and snacks) is also recommended.

4- Business Cards

Carry a few with you each day. You'll meet people in line while waiting for books, and will want to exchange business cards. You'll also want them for when you talk with publishers. It'll help you network, and is a great way to reconnect with bloggers you talk to while at the convention.

5- Have Fun And Enjoy The Experience

It's a rush to be around all these bookish people. Meeting publishers, authors, and other book lovers is always great, and this is seriously book mecca. Enjoy every single second of it. Take the time to just absorb everything, because it's an amazing experience.

These tips are just some things that have helped me. Plenty of bloggers have similar posts so do check those out for more.

The other exciting part of BEA is getting some amazing ARCs of upcoming fall titles. Here are the top 10 that I am most excited for the chance to snag.

1 Night Film by Marisha Pessel
2. The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
3 Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles
4 Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
5 Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
6 Fire with Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
7 Unbreakable by Kami Garcia
8 Vicious by Victoria Schwab
9 3:59 by Gretchen McNeil 
10 Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts

*I would have included by The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon, but as previously announced I am now an advocate for that book.*

Anyone else going to BEA? Let me know in the comments so I know to keep a look out to say hello!

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! Night Film is also on the top of my list as well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips. I will be going for my third time. I need to check out the autogragphing that is happening. Hope to see you there

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...