Monday, March 25, 2013

Female Characters In Entertainment Week


As announced awhile back I decided to dedicate a week to those female characters that we love. I had become quite disenchanted with all the hate being tossed towards these characters. I have a week full of guest posts from authors, and fellow bloggers talking about their favourite female characters and why they are important.

My post will kick off this week, and I decided to talk about some female characters that caused me to think, be proud, and are in general something I want to see more of media.

1. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
This character, and show in general opened my eyes to the fact that a female character could kick ass, be a cheerleader, fall in love, fall apart, and still be a force to be reckoned with. She's a perfect example of being feminine not meaning being weak. Buffy embraced the strength that she inherited because she was a women. She showed that you can be sexy, vulnerable, strong, and capable. It's not an either or situation. Joss Whedon once said in an interview that he wrote Buffy in response to the "defenseless female stereotype" that was so prevalent in the horror genre, and wanted to turn it on it's head. I say he fully accomplished that and provided not just a heroine but a true hero, because that is what Buffy symbolizes. 
2. Lola from Lola and the Boy Next Door
Lola's ability to express herself, and just BE herself make her an excellent role model. Her unique fashion sense encapsulate who she is so wonderfully. She never compromises who she is for anyone, and is willing show herself to the world. Not a bad message to put out there. I love how comfortable with herself she is. To me that is something to strive for and look up to.
3. The Girls from Sex and the City
With 'slut shaming' be so rampant in media, it was refreshing to see characters embracing their sexuality. Women who enjoyed sex, and didn't apologize for it, or feel the need to hide it. It put forth a much more positive view point of female sexuality, and while we still have a LONG way to go, it's refreshing that people are willing to put characters like this out there. 
4. Hermoine Granger from the Harry Potter series
A character who isn't always saved by the male lead (Harry) and who even manages to save the day herself in some circumstances. Her quick intelligence, and loyalty made her admirable. She presented a studious, but brave and reliable friend to Harry and Ron. She shows that you don't have to downplay your assets and capabilities to be accepted. 
5. Emma Swan from Once Upon A Time
A character whose whole life gets sent in a tailspin after finding out the life she thought she had is much different than the reality. She takes the news of being the saviour for many people in a realistic and admirable way. She may stumble, but she doesn't give up. She's a reflection of being heroic doesn't mean that you have to be perfect. Flaws exist and things are complicated. I love that Emma shows someone who tries their best, and goes in with the best of intentions, even if they might fail.
6 Anne Boleyn from Tarnish
Ok, so she's a historical figure but she's been given the fictional treatment plenty so I am including her. She's normally portrayed as vindictive, and driven. I fell in love with Katherine Longshore's portrayal of her in Tarnish. An intelligent woman who spoke her mind, and wanted to be taken seriously. She had ideas, and felt they were just as worthy as any man's opinions. She felt her voice matted and wanted it to be heard. I  don't know about you but I can't think of a better message to instill upon young women today. Be heard, and don't be afraid of your voice. Thanks to Katherine Longshore, some may find that message in Anne's voice.
There are many more incredible female characters out there. Whether flawed, heroic, or simply amazing for being themselves each brings something to the discussion. I want this leave this post with another amazing Joss Whedon quote. Upon being asked why he writes strong female characters he replied "because you're still asking me that question". Here's hoping that there will come a time when we don't have to ask.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a feature! I agree with all of these, especially the SATC girls and Hermoine...love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I never got into the whole Buffy craze (although I DID watch some episodes of season 1 a little while ago... I'm slowly getting there), I love how she's such a kickass female has become an.... ICON. Even those who never watched still know who she is, what she did and the most famous quotes.

    YES YES YES TO HERMIONE. Just thinking back to some of my favourite moments from her makes me want to go reread the series again. I also love this, "I don't know about you but I can't think of a better message to instill upon young women today. Be heard, and don't be afraid of your voice."

    Amazing post and thanks for this fantastic week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...