Monday, March 18, 2013

Emblaze by Jessica Shirvington



Emblaze by Jessica Shrivington 
Release Date – March 5, 2013
Publisher Website - Sourcebooks/Raincoast Books
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  464 pages
My Rating- 4/5
**Received from publisher for review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Once again Violet Eden faces an impossible choice ... and the consequences are unimaginable.

Violet has come to terms with the fact that being part angel, part human, means her life will never be as it was.

Now Violet has something Phoenix - the exiled angel who betrayed her - will do anything for, and she has no intention of letting it fall into his hands. The only problem is that he has something she needs too.

Not afraid to raise the stakes, Phoenix seemingly holds all the power, always one step ahead. And when he puts the final pieces of the prophecy together, it doesn't take him long to realize exactly who he needs in order to open the gates of Hell.

With the help of surprising new allies, ancient prophecies are deciphered, a destination set and, after a shattering confrontation with her father, Violet leaves for the islands of Greece without knowing if she will have a home to return to….
Angels. An epic battle. Steamy romance. One thing I’ve come to expect with this series, and Jessica Shirvington’s writing,  is that each book amps up the romance, and danger. Each book dives deeper into the mythology. Each book just gets better. This is a series that grabs you before you even know that you’re hooked. 

Romance is a huge part of Violet’s story. The forbidden variety seems to be what Violet specializes in. The other novels have shown the seductive side of Phoenix, but Emblaze let’s her connection with Linc shine. There is an especially electric scene between the two that left me a little breathless. It seems obvious, to me anyways, that what Violet and Linc have is undeniable. Their chemistry is palpable, and as torturous as it as for them (and for the reader) I enjoyed every delicious moment.

The characters continue to surprise me. It may not be unique, but I like that Jessica has allowed them to not fit into a specific category. Nobody is all good, or all bad. They ebb and flow, and continuously change. 

Phoenix continues to fascinate, and seduce me. His character is your typical bad boy with a good heart underneath it all. It’s his reasons for doing what he does that intrigue me. I am curious to see what his next move is after the events of this novel. A broken heart tempts even the strongest individuals to darkness, and I think Phoenix does care for Violet. He's dangerous, but controlled and that leaves him as being capable of anything.

Spence has quickly become one of my favourite characters. His snark, humour, and unwavering loyalty make him a fantastic addition to Violet's life. He’s a true friend to Violet, and I find myself becoming quite attached to him, and his outcome at the end of the series.

Jessica Shirvington takes real life locations and fuses them with her angel mythology so seamlessly that it feels organic and possible. Creating a mythology that is woven into something real creates this connection that allows disbelief to be suspended, which makes falling into the story that much easier. It makes Violet’s journey that much more vibrant, and our connection to it that make deeper.

Everything Violet has been avoiding dealing with kind of creeps up on her in this installment. Her feelings for Linc, the bond with Phoenix, her relationship with her father, her mother’s death, and bringing Steph into this dangerous world. It’s not surprising that Violet crumbles. I’ve always thought she was impulsive, and should let others in more, and this chapter of her story is no exception. Her guilt over many things is eating her inside, and it triggers the recklessness inside her. 

The ending, once again, provides a killer cliffhanger that this series is known for. It’s one that monumentally changes the series and assures that as intense as Violet’s life was, it’s about to get even more complicated.

The Violet Eden Chapters is a series that continues to delight, and thrill me with each new chapter. With characters that you care about, non stop action, and swoon worthy romance, it’s a series that is both captivating and addictive. 

3 comments:

  1. Amazing review! That cover is breathtaking, I'm a sucker for gorgeous covers.

    http://spicedlatte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alrighty, I'll admit - I did not read your review in its entirety as I haven't read Emblaze yet. And one thing I love to do when it comes to this series is go in blindfolded and with no expectations (well, other than MORE Phoenix, please!!!). My MEN in YA and Contemporary Month are practically ruling my schedule at the moment so I didn't get a chance to read some of the awesome paranormal stuff that's been coming out lately! I'm afraid I'm going to have to take this one to Poland with me in May to catch up AND THEN we can have a night long discussion on Twitter! You with me?! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this series (and I have to thank Evie for getting me into it) I just find each book just draws you in right away and keeps you so entertained and wondering what will happen next. I am not a used to a series that just keeps getting better with every book. The ending of this one was killer and I really wonder what new problems Violet will come into. I think my favourite part of this book was the chapter from Phoenix's perspective, because he is so interesting and I love the complicated character. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...