Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday....Born of Illusion


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

My pick this week is Born of Illusion by Teri Brown




Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Anna Van Housen is thirteen the first time she breaks her mother out of jail. By sixteen she’s street smart and savvy, assisting her mother, the renowned medium Marguerite Van Housen, in her stage show and séances, and easily navigating the underground world of magicians, mediums and mentalists in 1920’s New York City. Handcuffs and sleight of hand illusions have never been much of a challenge for Anna. The real trick is keeping her true gifts secret from her opportunistic mother, who will stop at nothing to gain her ambition of becoming the most famous medium who ever lived. But when a strange, serious young man moves into the flat downstairs, introducing her to a secret society that studies people with gifts like hers, he threatens to reveal the secrets Anna has fought so hard to keep, forcing her to face the truth about her past. Could the stories her mother has told her really be true? Could she really be the illegitimate daughter of the greatest magician of all? 

Magicians and magic, in these terms, are not something I've read a lot of in novels. It tends to be more of the wizard/actual powers variety rather than tricks and fast reflexes. It's intriguing, and I can't wait to read this one.

Expected release date June 11, 2013

5 comments:

  1. I really can't wait for this one! It sounds different and exciting, and I love me some historical fiction :) Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this one sounds awesome. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction as well as magicians so I hope to pick this one up soon. Great WoW pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across this last week and it sounds great. I also love the cover. Beautiful and yet dark and mysterious. Great choice!

    My WoW

    Ayana @ My Book Memoirs

    P.s. New GFC follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness that does sounds like an interesting book. Great pick and Happy Reading! Here is my WoW for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw this one mentioned on another blog and I had to add it to my wishlist immediately. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...