Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sever by Lauren DeStefano



Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Release Date – February 12, 2013
Publisher Website - Simon and Schuster Canada
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  384 pages
My Rating- 4.5/5
**Received from publisher for review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Time is running out for Rhine in this conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Chemical Garden Trilogy. 
With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them. 
Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain. 
In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered
The ending to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy comes with less of a bang and more of a heart wrenching wind down. It’s focus isn’t on the flashy explosions, or other similar things you might expect. This ending is emotional, and keeps our focus on saying goodbye to the characters we’ve embraced.

Rhine's ability to adapt and her tenacity have never been more apparent than in this novel. Her strength to not give up, even when things seems impossible always impressed me. The fact that she hasn't completely crumbled after the things she's experienced says everything about her character.

I adore Linden. Every single aspect of his character. This novel showcased everything I love about him. His loyalty, his caring nature, and his desire to want to see the good in everyone.

Cecily has grown on me throughout the series. A self centered, immature child has blossomed into a capable, strong young women who is a force to be reckoned with. Her character has grown the most out of everyone. While the difference is teased and hinted at in the second novel, this novel makes it staggeringly evident just how far she’s come.

I felt like I got the answers to questions that had been plaguing me since the first novel. While revealing the fate of the characters is not something I am going to do, I will just say that it is concluded in the only way it really could be. Everything ties together, and while the bow it’s wrapped in might be incomplete, I feel like we got the conclusion needed to say goodbye.

This novel really showcased how much depth Lauren has given her characters. Even the “villains” are humanized. Everyone’s actions are driven by something, and right and wrong blur. Desperation can lead to irrational behaviour, and it’s all in the perspective of the individual.  The characters are what I will take away from this series, because they felt real to me, especially in this concluding installment.

As I closed the book I felt devastated. I felt each and every loss experienced surround me. I am not just talking in this book, but the entire series. At the same time, I felt hopeful. Rhine’s story ultimately comes with a message of living in each moment. There are so many factors, choices, and consequences that can impact our lives, and nothing is guaranteed. Just like Rhine, we can’t take a certain number of years for granted, and as scary as they are risks sometimes need to be taken in order to really live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...