Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa


The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
Release Date – October 25, 2011
Publisher – HarlequinTeen
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages - 386 pages
My Rating- 9.5/10
**obtained from Netgalley and HarlequinTeen for an honest review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis

My name—my True Name—is Ashallayn'darkmyr Tallyn.
I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her.
My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl…


It’s always hard to say goodbye. As readers we come to love characters, especially if part of a series. I discovered this wonderful series a little late, but ended up loving it just the same. I had a feeling reading this would be bitter sweet, and I was right.

This book does have a different feel than the others in this series. It’s told from Ash’s point of view, and his character truly comes alive. The ice prince is more vulnerable and we learn a lot about him. I love that even though we know quite about Ash (and Puck) that there are still things to learn.

Julie’s writing, as always, is action packed, engrossing and so vivid. She manages to capture the voice of Ash and make him fully come alive. She blends humour, with heart stopping action perfectly. The world she has built is simply enchanting and so fully described that you feel as if you are in the NeverNever.

Our favourite characters are back. Puck is his sarcastic, fun self. The interaction between Puck and Ash was some of my favourite in the novel. Grim is one of my favourite characters. Our last glimpse of Grim in this novel is perfect for the final book in this series. We are introduced to a few new characters during Ash’s story. I really enjoyed The Wolf. He and Grim made me a laugh a few times.

The only thing I could say was missing was Meghan. I missed her. I wanted to find out what was going on with her. I liked her in the previous novels, but was surprised to find how much I missed having her point of view.

Be prepared to laugh, gasp, sit on the edge of your seat, and even cry as you follow Ash along his path. All of the characters have you wishing for some form of happily ever after for them, and it’s because of this that you are so invested. Ash’s journey and decisions are not easy, and as a result this story packs an emotional punch.

The Iron Knight was the best ending possible for these characters. I am hopeful that this is just a “see you later” rather than a permanent goodbye. I have a feeling we may see some of our favourite characters again in spin offs that Julie may have planned. I will be most happy to welcome them back.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading The Iron Daughter now, I got The Iron Knight in the mail about a week ago- but had only read the first of the series!!! So I'm playing catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arg! My post didn't post!

    I agree, I totally missed Meghan in this book. I am SO sad to see this series end. I love the characters So very much. I am hoping that we will see Puck again soon!

    Great review, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for this book (mostly because I want to see more Ash and Puck). Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me so excited to continue this series, because The Iron Knight sounds like an amazing end! I read The Iron King last year and while I enjoyed it, I never got around to getting the rest of the books. I'm FINALLY rectifying that - put The Iron Daughter on hold at the library the other day, so it will hopefully come in soon and I can discover why you all gush so much about these books! :D

    Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...