Monday, July 25, 2011

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan


The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan
Release Date – March 9, 2010
Publisher – Delacorte Books
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages - 407
My Rating- 8/10
Obtained - from the library

Here is the Goodreads synopsis

Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

This companion novel to Forest of Hands and Teeth could be looked at as a sequel. We are introduced to Mary’s daughter Gabry. They still live in the city by the ocean that Mary reaches at the end of Forest of Hands and Teeth.

I really do like Carrie Ryan’s writing style. Her words are so descriptive that you can easily picture what this world would be like. It’s part of what makes it so terrifying. She is also skilled at making you feel the emotions of the characters, and having them be very realistic. I must admit that I find the beginning of these books a little slower than the last half. As I get closer to the end I can’t get through the pages fast enough, but at the beginning it merely holds my interest.

Gabry is quite different than Mary. She has no desire to leave her village (named Vista). She is a rule follower and terrified of anything outside of what she knows. One thing she has in common with Mary, however, is the ability to drive me crazy. I am not sure what it is with the women in these novels. Gabry can not make a decision if her life dependant on it (and it often does). I get that she is young, and that Mary basically tried to protect her from everything but each decision seemed to be excruciating for her. Gabry, like her mother, has two wonderful men interested in her, and she spends most of the novel jumping back and forth in her decision on who to be with. I am not sure about you guys, but if zombies are chasing me the last thing I am concerned with is which cute boy I should be kissing. I did like Gabry more than Mary, if only because I could see how innocent and protected she really was. She did do some brave things and I hope she continues to grow in the next novel. I just would have liked her a little less self centered.

Carrie Ryan’s boys are amazing though. I adore both Catcher and Elias. Catcher won me over and I TOTALLY adore him. Elias is swoon worthy as well, but something about Catcher just floored me. I really hope he find a version of “happily ever after” when all is said and done.

There are so many questions I was hoping to have answered in this book, and I did get some of them. I still would love to know what exactly happened to Mary’s brother. It was nice to see some of the characters from The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

I really do love the world that Carrie Ryan created. I think that is what keeps me coming back. It’s complex, and very descriptive. It’s a world that is horrific in that you can see where it could be possible. If you like your zombies with some romance, and hope tossed in these are the novels for you.

2 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this book before. I love books that are really descriptive and I have to check out a book described as zombies with some romance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I actually really liked Gabry as a character but I can see how she might have annoyed you. Based on what you've said about Mary and Gabry, I think you'll like the MC in The Dark and Hollow Places a lot more (she's a lot tougher, but also pretty jaded).

    Glad you liked the book as a whole! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...