Monday, May 9, 2011

Die for Me by Amy Plum


Die For Me by Amy Plum
Release Date – May 10, 2011
Publisher – HarperTeen
Pages - 352
My Rating- 10/10
Obtained from NetGalley and Harper Teen (thank you for letting me review it)


Here is the GoodReads synopsis -

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?


This is a YA debut by Amy Plum. I liked the pacing, and detail she put into the story. Her writing style was easy to get used to, and a pleasure to read.

My favourite part of this book was the characters. It made the story for me. Kate was troubled, grieving but strong and smart at the same time. I love that when she meets Vincent she is immediately attracted to him but does not fall into his arms automatically. They date, he has to win her over. She is unsure when she first finds out his secret. She even thinks that she might not be able to date him. This is all a new and welcome plot development in the YA genre. She made a refreshing heroine.

Vincent was equally well developed. He was troubled, strong and a nice balance to Kate. The relationship he has with he fellow revenants was also developed well. You can see how close they are, and what they would be willing to do for each other. Jules, Charlotte and Ambrose are some of my favourite characters. I liked that with so many characters being introduced at once we were still able to get a clear picture of each of them.

The mythology of the revenants was well developed and planned out. The two sides - good vs. evil - will make for interesting plot points and twists to come in the next few books. There are some things I am curious about and am looking forward to learning more about the history and mythology behind these immortals. I never thought I would think of “zombies” as sexy but they’ve never looked like (or been as romantic as) Vincent.

Paris is made even more romantic as we see Vincent and Kate fall in love. Their relationship gave me goose bumps. I have been to Paris and Amy Plum has made it just as romantic as I remember it being. The romance mixed with the revenants mythology gives Paris a dangerous, sexy, and sultry feel. The last scene of Vincent and Kate sticks out in my mind as sigh inducing. Vincent has an adorable nickname for Kate that I love. Their relationship is playful and delicious. There are some great make out scenes ( love a great make out scene). I do suspect a possible triangle happening in the future books if I am correct, so that will be interesting to see develop. I do think Vincent and Kate belong together, but there was a few times in the book that there was chemistry between Kate and someone else and I expect we’ll see it play out.

The ending of the story is not a huge cliff hanger but there are elements throughout the novel that set up the next two books nicely.

The mythology, the romance, and the characters are all things that make you immediately fall into the story. I am looking forward to the next two books and can’t wait to get my hands on them. Pick it up when it’s released and be swept away by romantic Paris, and Kate and Vincent’s story.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! I am so glad that you enjoyed reading this. I'm really looking forward to the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved this book. I definitely agree that it makes you look at Paris in a whole new way.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...